Judge Bill Blue Appointed to Court Interpreter Certification Board
Judge Bill Blue was recently appointed by Chief Justice Labarga to serve on the Court Interpreter Certification Board for three years. Judge R. James McCune, Jr. is serving a second term on the Board.
The purpose of the Court Interpreter Certification Board is to assist the Supreme Court of Florida in overseeing the certification and regulation of court interpreters as set forth in the Florida Rules for Certification and Regulation of Spoken Language Court Interpreters.
RULE 14.110 COURT INTERPRETER CERTIFICATION BOARD
(f) Duties. The duties of the board shall include:
(1) certification, regulation, discipline, suspension, and revocation of certification of court interpreters;
(2) designation, regulation, and discipline of language skilled and provisionally approved court interpreters, as well as suspension and revocation of designation upon failure to become certified within prescribed time frames;
(3) regulation and discipline of court-appointed interpreters who, although neither certified nor otherwise qualified in accordance with these rules, are permitted to provide court interpreting services when a certified, language skilled, or provisionally approved interpreter is unavailable;
(4) the authority to periodically review and adopt new or amended board operating procedures consistent with these rules;
(5) the authority to make recommendations to the supreme court regarding language access issues and amendment of court rules relating to provision of spoken language court interpreting services; and
(6) performance of such other assignments relating to provision of spoken language court interpreting services as may be directed by the chief justice of the supreme court.
See the Administrative Order at this link.